Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Reflections

 Reflections
 "I have a long line of military in my family.  Daniel (My husband) was in the reserves.  My dad was a captain in the Army and flew helicopters in Vietnam. My grandfather was a career Army guy, WWII vet, retired as a colonel. I have uncles who were in the Marines and the Navy and the Coast Guard.  Currently I have a cousin who attends and plays football for West Point (Go Army!), a cousin who flies Warthogs in the Air Force and another cousin who is in basic training in the Army." --Gretchen W., who lives in the Colonial Hills neighborhood.


"My older brother, Joe, serves in the Marine Reserves. He follows in the footsteps of my father, a Navy man, and two uncles, who served in the Navy and the Marines.  A memory of my brother's service dates to 2003. He and his unit were stationed in Iraq that spring and through the summer.  One of the best wedding gifts was a phone call close to wedding day from him, telling me that he was stateside.  It was great news.  While continuing to serve, he is also a leader in the VFW near his New Jersey home.  I am very proud of him." --Andrew N., of Batavia Street.